The distinction between being a boss and being a leader may seem small, but it means the world to the people who work for you.
Being the boss does not necessarily mean you are leading. Here is a list of 10 characteristics that will help you determine if you are having a positive impact on your employees.
- knows it all; a leader is always learning.
- gives answers; a leader seeks solutions.
- talks more than listens; a leader listens more than talks.
- directs; a leader coaches.
- criticizes; a leader encourages.
- identifies weaknesses; a leader identifies natural gifts.
- is all about “me” and “I;” a leader is all about “we.”
- places blame; a leader takes accountability.
- protects their ego; a leader reveals their vulnerability.
- demands results; a leader inspires performance.
Every team has a boss, but they really need a leader. Start leading today!
Read more on these free chapters from the author’s book Leadership Matters for more practical leadership insights.